Posted by : Chris Day | Date Posted : Dec 31, 2011
My one personal New Year’s resolution this year is to get back into tennis. I’m posting this newsletter from Vancouver Lawn Tennis Club back in 1989 where I won both the under-14 and under-16 events. This wasn’t a particularly amazing feat at the time (there were better, more impressive wins), however, it’s about the only digital item I have from that era and it will do fine as a reminder.
Posted by : Chris Day | Date Posted : Oct 31, 2011
Here’s what I did, and enjoyed every minute of it.
– Stay at the Island Shangri-La and get VIP pickup services from HKG
– Check-in with impeccable service at the Island Shangri-La
– Fast track direct to room, welcome package in room, business cards, etc.
– Dinner at Va Bene in Lan Kwai Fong (LKF) for some great Italian food
– Walk around and be amazed by the action in LKF – all the expats are here
– Go to Mong Kok to check out ladies market – lots of cheap tourist junk there but fun.
– Sit at the Chef’s table at Bo Innovation, Wan Chai for a 4-hour, 17-course dinner – “Extreme Chinese Cuisine”
– Meet people from Barcelona and Boston sitting and chat with “Demon Chef” Alvin Leung at Chef’s Table
– Grab breakfast at Petrus on the 56th floor of the Island Shangri-La for stunning views
– Go check out the big brands (e.g. Louis Vuitton) in Pacific Place mall – take note of which models you’ll want to buy later in Shenzhen 😉
– Visit Sogo department store near Times Square
– Purchase an Octopus card and ride the MTR subway around Hong Kong like a fiend
– Day trip to Lowu Commercial City in Shenzhen (Guangdong Province, Mainland China)
– Arrive in Shenzhen by MTR/train, dress down to maximize bargaining position
– Negotiate on some Louis Vuitton bags ($80 for 3) and goodies (e.g. Dr. Dre Beats headphones for $25)
– Go for authentic Chinese food in Shenzhen with JJ, cool guide
– Pay equivalent of $0.75 for a beer out at a nice restaurant in SZ
– Learn about the extensive underground industry in SZ
– Take a taxi to Star Ferry Terminal at No. 7 pier and ride across to Central
– Grab a massage in Lan Kwai Fong (LKF) at Happy Foot – 19th Floor, Century Square, 1 D’Aguilar Street, Central – 2522 1151 ($450 HKD for a *GREAT* 100 min body massage)
Posted by : Chris Day | Date Posted : Oct 21, 2011
Coles notes version of Thursday, Oct. 20th in Bali:
* 13 hour flight from Vancouver to Hong Kong, 4 hour layover, 4.5 hour flight from Hong Kong to Densapar
* Sat next to stinker the whole way from Vancouver to HK
* Met Yudi, cool bar manager at WOO Bar – suggested Hu’u as a good bar to go out to in Seminyak
* Went for an 11pm 90 minute BLISS massage at the W Away Spa
Posted by : Chris Day | Date Posted : Apr 30, 2011
I first started CrossFit in December of 2007, nearly 3.5 years ago. Since that time, I’ve increased my fitness, well-being and overall health probably by an order of magnitude. I’ve accomplished things I never thought I would, such as 10 consecutive handstand pushups, a 400-lb deadlift, a 225-lb clean & jerk, a 6:30 mile…. and many other things I give myself a pat on the back for.
However, one of the things I’ve never been able to do (until this week) is a muscle up. Here is a quick description of a muscle-up from CrossFit.com:
“The muscle-up is astonishingly difficult to perform, unrivaled in building upper body strength, a critical survival skill, and most amazingly of all, virtually unknown.“
Anyway, without further ado, here is mine. I’ll work on making it prettier to look at over time!
Posted by : Chris Day | Date Posted : Apr 29, 2011
This one was from June 2010: